The Sikh Gurdwara Perth (Inc.) was formed about 15 years ago in 1996 to meet the needs of the growing Sikh community. The organisation was formed to provide religious services to the community as well as social and cultural. The community has grown enormously over the years.
Weekly religious services are held every Sunday to everyone including the registered and non-registered members. A cultural education class (Punjabi School, approved by the Australian Ministry of Education) is also held each week, where children are taught Punjabi language and Sikh history, life/social skills, martial arts, music, dangers of the drug and alcohol use and related topics.
The SGP supports other community involvement initiatives such as:
- Funds collection for the bushfire victims and flood victims,
- Blood donation for the Australian Red Cross,
- Arranging shelter and food for disadvantaged members of the community including the elderly,
- Providing support to new migrants,
- Assisting overseas students in finding accommodation and work, and many more similar initiatives.